Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Just thinking

My friend Marie was invited to be a guest writer on a blog called Design mom and she was talking about how kids and parents dont realize that kids learn through playing and how important it is. I know sometimes my kids are playing with friends and they get in a little argument or fight and I get all frustrated. I have never really looked at it as they are learning. Marie said a great thing in her post that she learned while going to college for Early Education and I love it: "Tell me, I forget. Show me, I remember. Involve me, I understand. I know that on the things I do day to day I dont really let me kids help because I want to get it done fast or the way I want it done. I need to slow down and let them be more involved in everything even if it does take 10 times longer! I want them to turn out the best they can be!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

this is soooo true. I really try to make cookies when the kids aren't around because they LOVE to help and make the BIGGEST mess and it takes TWICE as long... however, they are learning so much doing in and following instructions that I need to involve them more. Thanks for the reminder. I might have to post this on my blog too. Hope life is good.

Shannon said...

You mean I AM doing SOMETHING right! Wow! My kids help with everything! From dishes, to making beds, to vacuuming, to serving breakfast. Shoot... I even have Tylan loading and unloading the washer and dryer! And this stuff is never forced. They just seem to enjoy helping their mama! Thanks, Ash.

swensen squeeze said...

Thanks for the reminder. They do need to learn these things. I need to slow down and take a little time for them.

Bree said...

ashlie, so fun to hear from you! i'm so glad you left a comment, so now i can blog stalk you! you're kids are so cute, looks like you are doing great! keep in touch!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Thanks, Ash. Sorry it took me so long to see you wrote this. It is so true that we want things done our way, but the only way kids will learn is if we give them a chance. Let's get together soon! My kids would love to play and you're so close!

kelly said...

that's so true! and what a lucky girl. i love marie, what a fun friend she must be!